Mattresses can be synthetic or organic. But, most of us prefer organic ones, especially cotton mattresses. Using an evergreen cotton mattress can provide a good cushioning effect and assures a comfortable and uninterrupted sleep.
Evergreen mattresses are made without any toxic chemicals, and they won’t release any harmful chemical gas that can have a significant impact on your health. The naturally-made mattresses also have hypoallergenic and have temperature regulating properties.
Cotton is a highly breathable, soft, and comforting fibre. However, regular cotton is exposed to many kinds of chemicals before harvesting. So, when you purchase a cotton mattress, try to buy an organic one. Otherwise, skip cotton altogether.
Organic cotton is the cotton grown using methods and materials that negatively impact the environment. Its production is equal to 0.7 per cent of global cotton production.
Many farmers assist organic cotton growth with the help of natural insecticides, pesticides, and fertilisers. It is not genetically modified. Using it to make mattresses does more good than bad.
An organic, evergreen and eco-friendly cotton mattress is not only viable for adults but also infants and young children.
Before choosing an evergreen (or organic) cotton mattress, you need to know what it is all about. First, it is essential to check whether a mattress is genuinely organic. When you see a mattress classified as organic, it means the mattress was certified as an organic mattress by public or independent testing authorities.
Separating a non-toxic, organic, natural, and eco-friendly from the others is a difficult job. Some mattresses are advertised as organic but are only partially organic.
The GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard) certification certifies that the mattress materials and the mattress manufacturers adhere to strict global organic standards.
When you consider regular cotton, the problems are far worse. In developing countries, consumers without any knowledge about this are cheated on by local and multinational companies. There is also a lack of stable institutions to certify a company and property rights to follow specific rules.
Advantages of Evergreen Cotton Mattresses
Here are some reasons why cotton mattresses are more popular than others:
- Cotton mattresses are soft and provide good cushioning. The comfortable and fluffy nature of cotton earned it its popularity.
- Unlike synthetic mattresses, organic cotton mattresses are temperature-regulating, breathable, and hypoallergenic.
- Because of its breathability, the cotton will circulate the air and absorb and release humidity around it to maintain a comfortable temperature.
- Some mattresses lose their quality after a few washes. But, cotton can be washed many times. It is durable and lasts up to 15 years. You can change the filling periodically.
- A soft mattress is not good when you are sleeping with a partner. Even a small move from one person will disturb the other’s sleep. A cotton mattress does not absorb or transmit motion.
Disadvantages of Evergreen Cotton Mattresses
There are also some cons to using evergreen cotton to make a mattress:
- Cotton mattresses are not the enemies of bed bugs and dust mites. Some mattresses even allow the insects to breed. Cotton is a product of nature, and it does not repel insects. It is also difficult to kill insects.
- Some cotton mattresses even cause discomfort to pressure points and give pain in sensitive parts. Side sleepers are the ones who get most affected by it because of the pain in the hips and shoulders. Therefore, cotton mattresses are not preferred in hospitals.
- It cannot provide good support to the spine, leading to spinal misalignment. For this reason, orthopaedic doctors do not recommend cotton mattresses.
- Cotton can catch fire easily and only takes less than a minute to burn completely. So, cotton mattresses are not fire-resistant.
- Cotton is a loose material and therefore does not retain its original shape.
Best Evergreen Cotton Mattresses
Snoozel Green Mattress
The Snoozel Green Mattress is one of the luxurious mattresses available in the market. It is handmade with GOTS certified organic cotton, organic wool, and natural latex. The available sizes are the UK single, double, king, and super king.
The trial period for this product is 101 nights, and the company offers a 5-year warranty. Free delivery and returns are available in the United Kingdom.
The cost of this mattress ranges from £599 to £949.
This product is created by Next Divan. The mattress is filled with organic cotton to provide a breathable and comfortable layer to sleep on. It is available in small single, single, small double, double, king, and super king sizes.
The mattress contains orthopaedic springs. It is treated to prevent bug bites. The company also provides a one-year guarantee and nationwide free delivery.
The cost of this mattress is £239.73.
Birch is one of the reputed companies in the United Kingdom. It is also at the top of the best overall mattress category. The mattress is made of organic cotton certified by GOTS. It is designed to be highly breathable with flexibility and soft touch.
This product is free from any polyurethane-based foams and harsh chemicals. The company created this mattress with sustainably sourced material. This is also optimised for pressure relief.
The cost of this mattress ranges from £1,049 to £1,799.
This handmade natural cotton mattress is from funkyfuton. The company uses natural cotton drills outside with soft felt bed tufts stitched throughout the mattress to hold the filling in place.
The available sizes are small single, single, small double, double, and king. The filling consists of 1 x wool wrap, 3 x rebound cotton, and 4 x pure cotton.
The cost of this mattress ranges from £50 to £175.
Even with its disadvantages, evergreen cotton proves that it can be a sustainable and eco-friendly solution for people who want an organic mattress. They might not be the best ones, but still, they are the greener and most accessible ones.
From the mattresses mentioned previously, Snoozel Green Mattress is the best. It has more customers than the others and is very effective in its job. The mattress also prevents allergy-causing agents such as dust mites and bed bugs. Most of the time, cotton mattresses are avoided because of this reason. But the Snoozel Mattress proves to be otherwise.